Tuesday, December 14, 2010

high maintenance christmas

I bought a high-maintenance Christmas tree. There, I admit it.

But in my defense, I didn't know it was high-maintenance when I bought it. I had gone shopping with my great friend CT in Beijing, at the large plant and flower market. During Christmas they started what can only be described as an outdoor flea market set up in front of the building - with everything from fake trees to ornaments to kitchy kitchen clothes and more. Plus, this being Beijing, all these items were significantly cheaper than if you bought them anywhere else in the world.

Basically, I was in heaven.

I don't know how many of you have purchased a fake tree as part of a long-term investment (we grew up with real trees), but its actually hard to find a great tree among a sea of good trees. All of them were very nice, and lined up next to eachother, anything smaller than the largest tree there just looked like it wasn't a proper tree. CT even tried to talk reason.
"Is that going to fit in your apartment?" she gently inquired.
Needless to say, I came home with the most gorgeous tree which is incredibly real-looking. Even my bitter hubby, who has to help put it up each year, will awe over its looks. I just saw it and picked it out, I never once even asked about assembly. It simply didn't occur to me.

Rookie mistake. But I chose beauty and quality over practicality - yeah, that sounds about right! Just look at my shoe stand...

When I got home, boasting over my purchase, thrilled with a great price and getting such a deal, hubby and I opened the box.
"Are you sh*@#ing me!" my husband exclaimed as he pulled out 130 individually labeled tree branches.

"Why couldn't you just buy one of those trees you pull out of the box and fluff down?," he asked.
Naturally, I had just assumed that's how all of them worked, I didn't grow up with a fake tree.

How simple and painless it COULD have been. Then again, I can't buy a tree off someone wearing that outfit.

This year was no different from the others, great moaning over putting the tree up (last year we didn't even bother) but as an extra bonus on the already trying experience, the hubby got shocked putting on the lights.

Do you have any Christmas tree stories for me?

----

ps - any photog friends out there know how to get a good picture of your tree? Do I have to turn the lights off? Use a different setting? Never seems to do my beautiful tree justice!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahha so funny - dom would get shocked. and really they are not selling any tree with that outfit

Alyson said...

I have a fireworks setting on my camera as well as a back light setting-- whenever i come across a difficult shot i basically go through the whole list, ending up with 20 different shots of the same thing. I'll bring the camera over and we'll try it out.

JennyMac said...

LOL..but the tree is beautiful. And the image of your husband pulling out the endless branches cracked me up.

Dalton said...

Thanks guys for the comments, and Jenny, glad I made you laugh! Your blog cracks me up all the time, so nice to be able to return the favor. :-)

Xanthe said...

Every year Michael gets annoyed with our fake tree from almost certainly the same market in Beijing. It may be fake but it has given me years of joy!
Many many lights and baubles are the only way to do these monster trees justice xxx
Michael just took it down today... Always quicker taking it down than putting it up!

Melanie Gao said...

Oh that tree is *gorgeous*! Well worth the effort. :)