Thursday, October 14, 2010

best friends

One of my biggest qualms with Niamh's school in Singapore is not just the bad organization and communication from the school, or their total lack of ability to apply common sense when working with children - its the fact that she doesn't like school and can't name a single friend there.

She's the only foreigner at this school, but that was the case at her playgroup in Beijing when she was two, and she enjoyed the other children. In fact, she loved her school in Beijing so much she never got sad before leaving home, she would be out the door ready to go.

I've been making an effort to ask her lots of questions about school to try to get a conversation going about what she does like, what she doesn't like, what happened that day, what new thing did she learn, who did she play with, etc. On this last question, she can never seem to answer me. In Beijing, she would have told me she played with Da Da, Mimi, Anna or Ai Lai - but she can't name a single friend in her school and she's been there FIVE MONTHS.

The other day, I asked her who her best friend at school was.

She told me it was Sandy, our new dog.

The fact that Sandy doesn't go to her school is beside the point, I actually believe her. Getting a family dog was the best idea ever.

Exhibit A: Niamh and Sandy this morning.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my heart breaks reading this!

Unknown said...

It may be time to look for a new school. I cant believe they charge you to come to the school play!

Unknown said...

so sad, but so adorable!

Chantal said...

So gorgeous...I feel like crying - because it's a little sad and because that is THE cutest picture ever.

Liz said...

So sad - you really will have to look for another school. I didn't realise it was that bad.