Thursday, February 10, 2011

little miss independent

In recent weeks, the princess has decided that she can do things herself. That's right, she doesn't need us anymore. She can put on her own shoes, put the toothpaste on her toothbrush and clear her dishes to the sink. The most commonly repeated phrase in my household at the moment is "I do it myself!" - usually said with a tone of indignation.

Don't get me wrong, this is all good news. Problem is, yours truly's patience. Or lack of.

Turns out, "I do it myself!" roughly translates to "I'll do it in my own sweet time!"

Exhibit A: toothpaste is reluctant to come out of the tube. Mommy reaches in to help said toothpaste squeeze out, sending the princess in to a full on rage or hysterical tears. The only solution is to retrace your steps, erase any evidence that you had stepped in (ie take the toothpaste off the toothbrush) and start over.

This is fine of course when I have all the time in the world to do things like watch paint dry. But when I'm trying to get out of the house in the morning, get Niamh to school and get to work at a reasonably late time - I do NOT have time for her to do it herself. Recently resulting in a 40 minute tantrum that lasts until the school gates. Oh yes, my child can throw down with the best of em!

But I've learned that you have to pick and chose your battles, and if I don't have anywhere to be, I try my best to let her do it herself. Even if she looks like this, in public.


Miss "I do it myself!" put on her headphones backwards on the bus. Resulting in, well, a special hair style.

No comments: