Monday, July 4, 2011

how to traumatize your children

Recently, my Uncle posted some baby pictures of me on Facebook. Looking at them I can almost remember these moments. Probably because as a kid I used to look at my baby pictures all the time, so they still seem so familiar.

When I was at home last week, I decided to pull out my baby album, which I haven't seen in years. I wanted to show it to my daughter, who is now about to turn four. I thought she would enjoy seeing how we look alike, what my parents (her Mimi and Pops) looked like when they were my age, and seeing her Mooma (my grandmother) back then too.

About 2-3 years old, at our timeshare in the Florida Keys

I thought I would point out our family dog at the time, our old house, and us being on vacation in the Keys - the same place we still vacation - and that it would be a really sweet Mother/Daughter activity.

Per usual, I was wrong. It lead to a hysterical breakdown complete with heaving sobs and a runny nose.
"What's wrong?" I asked shutting the album on page 2.
SOB, unable to reply through the extreme tears.
"Honey, use your words and tell Mommy what's wrong," I pleaded.
"There's no me!" she sobbed.
I tried in vain to explain that of course there wasn't yet, Mimi and Pops had a baby, that is Mommy. Then Mommy and Daddy grew up and had her. No dice, this didn't make it better at all. In fact, the entire history of the world apparently began when my daughter was born. She was born and brought the rest of us into existence with her arrival, or at least she thinks so.

So if you're looking for a fun family activity/way to traumatize your children, have you considered sharing your family album?

No comments: