Tuesday, October 21, 2008

wedding frenzy

Over the past few weeks, Dom and I went back to Florida to get hitched. As he tells it, I'm finally making an honest man out of him. Well, consider him honest!

The ceremony was short and sweet, and the wedding was a blast. It was casual and very fun. Of course, nothing goes without a hitch, and we had a few curve balls thrown at us. First of all, the hair and makeup artist stood us up, this is after I went in and paid 100 bucks two days before to have the practice hair and makeup session. So myself, my mom and all the bridesmaids descend upon the salon that morning, sans-pictures and examples of what we want, and my stylist doesn't show. She calls in sick. The worst part was when at dinner at the wedding, a friend says "your hair looks great, I was worried about how you were going to turn out when I saw your hairdresser smashed at the bar last night at 2am...". Grrr.

Then, our photographer didn't show up. Eric Dean, of Dean photos, had come highly recommended and we had to book a year in advance, and pay upfront. We had spoken to him a few days before the wedding. He claims that he was rushed to the hospital for a kidney stone, and that his wife didn't know he had an engagement, or else one of his other photographers would have come.... The fishy thing is, what wife doesn't know on a Saturday afternoon if their husband has to work that night? You'd have to make your weekend plans around it, so I think you would know. Add the fact that your wife is one of your photographers, and I'm just not buying it. To make it up to us, he said he would give a refund, which we haven't got. Then he came to do a few photos on the beach with us, and he was in and out in less than 40 minutes. I didn't get the sense that he was really 'trying' if you know what I mean. I'd have to say, that I wouldn't recommend him. Photos are one of the most important elements of a wedding, and we don't have any. So sorry I can't post any for you. We are hoping friends at the wedding have some to send us.

Despite these disappointments, the wedding itself was fun. We had an incredible DJ, who was so good at reading the crowd and changing the atmosphere. Lots of our favorites were played and it was a blast. We left by exiting on a boat in the moonlight (sorry no photos).

It was an amazing weekend, and Dom had so many family friends come from England that it truly made the event so special. I also had family come from all over, including my cousins from Nebraska who I haven't seen in years! Also family from NJ, St. Louis and South Florida came. We were so excited about seeing everyone, and we just wish we could have spent more time with people.

We're back in Beijing now, so more posts to come...

No comments: