Thursday, September 2, 2010

lost in translation

These last couple weeks I've been traveling for work, and was elated to be in Beijing again. Seeing old friends for dinner was a highlight of this trip, and I didn't know how I would feel being back in Beijing... I spent my whole adult life there, would it feel weird? Would it feel like I had moved on? Would I miss it terribly? The answer is the latter! I felt at home again - and all too aware that in six months in Singapore, I'm still missing a lot.

I was surprised how cultural it felt to be back (I had this feeling in Thailand recently too). But mostly, the energy and charm of Beijing feel intoxicating again.

One of my favorite little moments of the trip was this little gem - from my menu at a sanlitun mexican restaurant which is an absolute pillar of alfresco drinking in Beijing - made me laugh out loud.

The menu reads:
1. Chips and Salsa
Your browser may not support display of this image.
Home-made tortilla corn chips with your choice of salsa



Amazing, and in case you thought this was a one-off blip on the menu - it appears under almost every description.

A new type of chinglish - but still a classic.

No comments: